The club was formed in 1949 by a group of local anglers.. The club leased the trout fishing at Portna on the river Bann. The fishing rights on the river are owned by The Honourable The Irish Society which in turn is managed by Bann Systems. A salmon and trout hatchery was run by Mr John Alexander whose two sons are still members today.
The Club Today
At present the club has a membership of 35 and a waiting list of about 20. Some of our present members are Irish international anglers.
The Lower Bann flows out of Lough Neagh entering the sea at Coleraine on the north coast. The river flow is controlled by flood gates at Kilrea. Contrary to most rivers the Bann fishes best at low flows. The club stretch is only 400 metres long but is wide and streamy
The trout fishing on this part of the river can be excellent especially
when the sedge hatches start. The fishing is best from May onwards
till the end of the season. Grilse enter the river in numbers from
mid June onwards and can run upstream during low water levels. The
river can be fished from the bank but chest waders would be advantageous.
The fishing is fly only.
The club is building a hatchery at present with funds from D.C.A.L.
A lot of work has been done with local burns which enter this part
of the river improving habitat etc.